Disregard that first email.

In a message dated 8/15/2012 8:00:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
williamwatso...@aol.com writes:

Hello New York Birders,

Below is a thread on Great Egret night migration on Geneseebirds.

Have you seen egrets migrating?  Was it day or  night?

Hawk Watchers, based you experience how many Great Egrets do you  see
following the migration flight line compared to Great Blue  Herons?

Please respond. Chip Weseloh   _chip.wese...@ec.gc.ca_
(mailto:chip.wese...@ec.gc.ca)    and  I would like to know.

Thank you,
Bill Watson

At the Hamburg Hawk Watch in Western New York over the years I have  seen
hundreds of Great Blue Herons following the flight line, but I  have only had
one Great Egret and it was not following the flight line.  Nearby at
Iroquois NWR Great Egret Numbers rival Great Blue Heron numbers  during
migration.
Great Blue Herons breed there, but Great Egrets have not  bred there until
this year. It seems to me that Great Egrets would be much  more often seen
at the Hamburg Hawk Watch, even if they migrated in the  daylight hours say
20% of the time and at night 80% of the time.

A year or two years ago I discussed this topic with Kyle Horton who did
night migration studies at Powdermill Avian Research Center. He quickly
responded that Great Egrets are definitely night migrants, and that their
calls
are frequently recorded. He then cited collaborating evidence at other
nocturnal bird observatories. So I assumed it was general knowledge and old
hat
information. I am surprised by the Cape May information. I would like to
hear opinions on the frequency of migrating Great Egrets vs Great Blue
Herons from other Hawk Watchers.

Bill Watson

In a message dated 8/14/2012 9:36:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,