1. I have not gone out to see this bird;
HOWEVER
2. Some years ago, I was certain that I had found a Bells Vireo in Prospect
Park and then spent several hours examining specimen trays at AMNH. My
recollections:
All of the dead Bells Vireo specimens in the museum trays had ivory colored
bills rather than the black of most vireos. It is not clear whether that is
true of live birds or whether the live bills are even lighter than the bills of
other vireo species.
In the hand, the wing bars on Bells are beige on a gray background, hence quite
subtle.Other species have brighter, more obvious, white or pale yellow wing
bars on a black or nearly black background.
General body coloration: The gray/olive coloration running over the top of the
head and down to the upper back is somewhat similar to a first spring female
solitarius; however,
size matters: Bells vireos are significantly smaller than solitarius.
The yellow flanks appearing in some pictures of Bells varies geographically,
becoming yellower the farther east the specimen birds were found.

Bob Gochfeld