See Life Paulagics ran a 16-hour trip out to the deep waters in the Hudson
Canyon on Sunday, September 16.  The trip left at 12:30 AM and we had a
very comfortable overnight ride on the 100' long Starstream VIII.  While no
rarities were found, birders had excellent looks at good numbers of GREAT
SHEARWATERS, drive right up looks at CORY'S SHEARWATERS and RED-NECKED
PHALAROPES, and POMARINE JAEGERS that flew right over the boat.  Several
landbirds were seen on the trip, including a NORTHERN FLICKER and a female
type PURPLE FINCH.  At least one warbler was seen but went unidentified.

Mammals were interesting as well.  Two young HUMPBACKED WHALES were seen,
and one breached for the crowd repeatedly.  What a show!  For me, it was
the highlight of the trip.  I've never seen a whale breach that many times
or that close to the boat.  COMMON DOLPHINS rode the wake early in the
morning and a small pod of ATLANTIC BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN were seen working
behind a trawler.  We also had a nice showing of bats.  We found 1 RED BAT
and 4 unidentified to species.  I've actually seen bats offshore before,
but never that many.

Here's a tally of the birds seen offshore:

Common Loon                1
Cory's Shearwater          5
Great Shearwater         350+
Audubon's Shearwater       4 (all pre-dawn)
Wilson's Storm-Petrel    175
Leach's Storm-Petrel       1
Red-necked Phalarope       3
Herring Gull              33
Lesser Black-backed Gull   3
Great Black-backed Gull    2
gull sp.                   2
Black Tern                 1
Common Tern                1
Pomarine Jaeger            3
Parasitic Jaeger           1
jaeger sp.                 1
Northern Flicker           1
Purple Finch               1
passerine sp.              1

Common Dolphin            40
Bottlenose Dolphin        10
Humpbacked Whale           2
Red Bat                    1
bat sp.                    4

We'll be working on our future trip dates soon, but expect a 12 hour
offshore trip in Jan-Feb to look for alcids like Dovekie, Puffin, Common
Murre, and Razorbill.  These offshore trips can also produce Northern
Fulmar and Red Phalarope, as well as Kittiwakes, a great Gannet show, and
uncommon gulls like Iceland and Glaucous.  Hopefully we'll see you aboard.

-PAG

--
Paul A. Guris
See Life Paulagics