Friday, 28 September, 2012

Manhattan - Stuyvesantown, east of First Ave. & near E. 16 Street...

At an oval (which is called The Oval on signage in the enclosed "town" of brick
buildings, a modest green-lawn and tree, shrub, flower planted area with a
large fountain, which regularly receives its share of migrants in all seasons
but is notable at peak times in spring & fall, there's been, among other
species, a Connecticut Warbler, which was first noted & reported by Anne
Lazarus, a local resident birder.  Seen also by a very few other birders who've
tried, it was still present today with the most recent sighting a short time
ago.  It's been favoring, or at least occasionally appearing in, shrubs on or
near the NW side of the oval, not far west of a small glassed guard booth and
well west of the fountain, in the circle just astride the actual lawn oval. I
was there about 2 hours, which was how long it took for a brief - very brief! -
but confirming view, in mid-afternoon, and at least 2 birders, with Anee L.
being one, had views a short while ago. I also dodged the earlier rain showers
and managed to see a few flurries of other warblers, including a Bay-breasted
in nice fall plumage, as well as: N. Parula, Magnolia, Black-thraoted Green,
Black-throated Blue, Black-and-white, N. Waterthrush, and at least several
Common Yellowthroats; there may also have been a Pine Warbler but I had just a
brief look. Also present were E.Phoebe, Red-eyed Vireo, Swainson's Thrush, plus
Yellow-shafted Flicker, White-throated Sparrow, and even Red-breasted Nuthatch
- not bad at all for a relatively small and somewhat "enclosed" space. This
area is accessible to the public, and is patrolled by private security (with
NYPD officers also in the vicinity). I was greeted in a quite friendly manner
by the security person on duty during my time in the oval area.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan