Hi all,
Yesterday, I and Brian Padden got on our bicycles and rode out to Randall's
Island. It was a great day for a bike ride, but the main reason was of
course to see the Nelson's Sparrows that Alan Drogin found, and reported on
Sunday afternoon.

It was quite windy and that made the Sparrows stay down for most of the
time. We had a few very short views of birds popping up in different
locations, but just as quickly did they drop down again. Finally after
about 1 1/2 hour one sparrow flew out and landed on a rock near where we
were standing. I got a few good photos of it and have posted one photo to
Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/8097060758/

If you haven't gone out to Randall's to look for these birds you ought to
do it. Here is a map with directions from the website of Randall's Island
Park Alliance: http://randallsisland.org/maps-directions/
(The location of the sparrows is the Wetlands at the top-right on the map)

I am so glad that Alan Drogin put in the leg work in searching for birds,
and coming up with this great find of a new location for Nelson's Sparrows.

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan

PS. Andrew Farnsworth reported early this morning that the NESP are still
there.