The bird is band-less. It was on shore this afternoon, and numerous photos of its legs taken by photographers present.
-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriel Willow
Sent: Oct 24, 2012 3:11 PM
To: Shane Blodgett
Cc: NYSBIRDS-L
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Barnacle Goose in Prospect Park

I am currently looking at the Barnacle Goose as well, it's sort of by itself near some Canada Geese by the boat moored in the Lake.

Looks like a nice crisp adult bird.

I assume some discussion of its provenance will ensue... Does anyone know how many waterfowl collections there are around the northeast? It seems possible to me, given that migratory populations of Canada Geese are moving through right now, that a Barnacle Goose from Greenland could've met up with a flock and wandered this way.

I guess we should look for bands if it hops out of the water to graze... I assume most captive waterfowl would be banded?

Also saw a few Shoveler & Ruddy Duck on the Lake, and a Field Sparrow and very late Veery on the nearby lawn of the Peninsula, and I'm hearing Siskins calling right now.

Oh and yesterday in Central Park, spotted an American Tree Sparrow and 4 Field Sparrows with a flock of Chippies up on the grassy area by 103rd st on the West Side... Now I just need a Clay-colored for a Spizella collection!

Good birding indeed,

Gabriel Willow