Hi all,
Below is a nice summary write-up, by Doug Kurz, of the excellent Fall
birding we had this past week in Central Park, NY, NY. Enjoy,
Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan

------------

It was a birdy weekend in the Park, giving the overall impression that we
were still seeing the avian after-effects of the "superstorm." There was
plenty of overhead flight including raptors, and good numbers of passerines
were found throughout. Saturday seemed to be a bit better than Sunday in
terms of overall numbers, but each day had its highlights.

Saturday's star was a magnificent BARRED OWL, while Sunday gave us an
adorable SAW-WHET OWL. Both birds were impacted by observers; the Barred
Owl kept shifting to higher and higher roosts as the groups of
finger-pointing birders increased, while the Saw-whet had to be protected
by the Conservancy putting up barricades to keep out overzealous
photographers and birders. A Conservancy worker told me that people had
actually been climbing into the very branches where the poor little owl was
roosting. I hope everyone will remember to respect the birds and keep as
great a distance as practicable, particularly with roosting owls. (I'll
never forget seeing a family of four birders, parents with two boys,
beating a small pine tree with sticks on the median strip at Jones Beach,
because they couldn't immediately locate a Saw-whet Owl. Fortunately they
failed altogether, and the owl was there the whole time. I won't even say
what I wanted to do to them!)

Winter finches continue to impress. We had PINE SISKINS at the Evodia
feeders and surrounding sweetgums, PURPLE FINCHES in the Oven and at the
feeders, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL flyovers (not seen by me), RED CROSSBILL
flyovers (I had five birds, two red and three yellow, flying westward over
the Lower Lobe Sunday morning, giving the same kip-kip-kip-kip calls that
we heard in September, so perhaps Type 3). Two female EVENING GROSBEAKS
delighted viewers at the "blowdown meadow" southeast corner of Great Hill
in the North End (thanks Sam Stuart et al.)

Overhead raptors included good numbers of RED-SHOULDERED HAWK both days,
dominated by juvenile birds of typical Eastern morph. Look for the black
wing-ends and the adjacent translucent windows for easy identification.
Even without the "windows" the black at the ends of the wings separates
these birds nicely from Broad-winged or Red-tailed Hawks. I had about a
dozen Red-shouldered over the weekend, at least as many Red-tailed, two
Broad-winged, two Cooper's, one Osprey, and one Northern Harrier as
flyovers.

On the ground, impressive numbers of Tufted Titmouse were joined by
numerous Hermit Thrushes, Dark-eyed Juncos, and White-throated Sparrows.
These four species could be found just about everywhere. A complete list
follows.

Pied-billed Grebe (Reservoir, Sat.)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck (Sat. pair Upper Lobe, & one juv male off the Point)
Mallard
American Black Duck (two pair, Reservoir, Sat.)
Northern Shoveler
Bufflehead (Reservoir, and one f at the Pool)
Ruddy Duck
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier (flyover)
Cooper's Hawk (two flyovers)
Red-shouldered Hawk (~10 flyovers)
Broad-winged Hawk (2 flyovers)
Red-tailed Hawk (12+ flyovers)
Osprey (1 flyover)
American Kestrel (one male Great lawn)
American Coot (resrevoir)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove (Pigeon)
BARRED OWL (Sat.)
NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL (Sun.)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (quite a few)
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe (one on Sat.)
Blue-headed Vireo (S. of Strawberry Fields Sat. morning)
Blue Jay
American Crow (incl. flock of 20 flying southeast)
Fish Crow (one flyover, calling)
Tufted Titmouse (abundant)
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch (several, including Evodia feeders)
White-breasted Nuthatch (more numerous than Red Nut)
Brown Creeper (several on Sat.)
Winter Wren (Azalea Pond / Gill)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Pinetum)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Hermit Thrush (numerous)
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (some roosting, several floyover flocks)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Strawberry Fields, Pinetum)
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting (Great Hill)
Eastern Towhee
Savannah Sparrow (one East of Falconer's)
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow (Lower Lobe)
Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (Azalea Pond)
Common Grackle
Baltimore Oriole (two in the Ramble)
EVENING GROSBEAK (two adult females, Blowdown Meadow)
Purple Finch (Evodia feeders and Oven)
RED CROSSBILL (flock of five, 2 red + 3 yellow, calling, flying west
southwest over lower lobe, Sunday morning, sounded like the Type 3 we had
on Sept 1st)
Pine Siskin (Evodia feeders)
American Goldfinch

Reported by others: EASTERN BLUEBIRD, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, Palm Warbler,
Northern Parula, possible Common Redpoll

P.S. on a separate note, Tueday morning after Hurricane Sandy, birded from
shore of Long Island Sound in Sands Point (Port Washington Pieninsula,
Nassau County). Highlights included Royal and Caspian Terns, Northern
Gannet, Laughing Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gull, several Storm Petrels
(prob. Leach's), two Jaegers (prob. Parasitic), Loons, Scoters, Bald Eagle

Happy Birding!
Doug Kurz

 __._,_.___
to sender
<dk...@mindspring.com?subject=Re%3A%20A%20November%20weekend%20in%20Central%20Park%2C%20and%20other%20notes>
to group
<ebirds...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20A%20November%20weekend%20in%20Central%20Park%2C%20and%20other%20notes>
 Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZWdjaHU5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTIxMzI2MTc->
 Messages
in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/message/11320;_ylc=X3oDMTM3YmRmNjUxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRtc2dJZAMxMTMyMARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTIxMzI2MTcEdHBjSWQDMTEzMjA->(1)
Recent Activity:

   - New
Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbWRrcGF2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzUyMTMyNjE3?o=6>
   3

 Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc;_ylc=X3oDMTJmM2RnN2dlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMzM2MzUwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNTIxMzI2MTc->
 ebirdsnyc: bird sightings from the NYC area
 [image: Yahoo!
Switch to:
Text-Only<ebirdsnyc-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
Daily Digest<ebirdsnyc-dig...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•