Jones Beach West End 16 Nov

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) stopped by the Coast Guard Station parking lot,
now open for visitors. No bathrooms open. A "Sandy" high water line in the
concession stand shows the level about two feet. So there was a pretty strong
wash over. The main glass door facing the bay is smashed. Lots of debris. The
board walk is ripped loose from the concession stand to the Coast Guard
property, most boards and sections tossed and piled in front of the hedge row.

The gazebo appears untouched with the usual picnic tables underneath.  I
suspect the staff had cleaned up a bit. The landscape is changed. The close bar
and far bar through which you can access the island at low tide are gone.The
island is very much smaller.  We were there at high tide, so it remains to be
seen how much sand, if any,  will be exposed at low tide.  The drifting of sand
in the area has become a problem. No dredging is now required, but the sand may
come back eventually.

The medium is OK, but sections of bayberry shrubs have brown leaves while
others are still green.  Looks like salt water came in.  The pines weathered
the storm, but obviously are still not healthy.

BIRDS. On the island edge were about 200 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS and 2 GREATER
YELLOWLEGS with DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS mixed in.. In the inlet, there were 3
RED-THROATED and 6 COMMON  LOONS; 2 LONG-TAILED DUCKS flew by. The best bird
was a very late immature  COMMON TERN resting on a piling and then flying
around..  The median had many RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH and a
few other species. Some winter finches flew over (unidentified). Raptors
included a COOPER'S HAWK, 2 SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS and a NORTHERN HARRIER.

 As to be expected the swale is a lake. No birds noticed, but a fair number of
fishermen and a group of surfers going out to the ocean
.
Sy