A female EVENING GROSBEAK was a first for me in Prospect today, seen briefly perched above the Binnen Bridge. There did not appear to be much diurnal movement going on, but other birds included EASTERN MEADOWLARK, RUSTY BLACKBIRD, and my first of season AMERICAN TREE SPARROW.

Good birding,
Alex Wilson
Brooklyn

Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
Nov 16, 2012
54 species

Canada Goose  5
Mute Swan  9
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  75
Northern Shoveler  150
Bufflehead  1     (Female.)
Hooded Merganser  5
Ruddy Duck  50
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  3
Red-tailed Hawk  5
American Coot  15
Ring-billed Gull  100
Herring Gull  20
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Rock Pigeon  25
Mourning Dove  30
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Peregrine Falcon  2
Blue Jay  20
American Crow  20
Fish Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse  6
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  4
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Hermit Thrush  6
American Robin  25
European Starling  100
American Tree Sparrow  1     (Fallkill meadow, FoS.)
Fox Sparrow  5
Song Sparrow  4
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  50
Dark-eyed Junco  25
Northern Cardinal  30
Red-winged Blackbird  7
Eastern Meadowlark 1 (Nethermead, 8:00 AM; intent on feeding, unusually tolerant of dogs but eventually flushed to treetops, called a few times, and flew over Quaker Ridge. Photographed.)
Rusty Blackbird  1     (Vale of Cashmere.)
Common Grackle  1
Purple Finch  2     (Feeders.)
House Finch  20
Pine Siskin  30
American Goldfinch  75
Evening Grosbeak 1 (Female, flying over Binnen Bridge to perch briefly in treetop, 8:45 AM; only seen from underneath. Large, plain, big-headed, finch-type bird; big, pale, cardinal-sized bill, short, notched tail with white spots on underside. Flew north, showing white patches in wings. Photographed.)
House Sparrow  10