After being briefly closed with minimal tree damage after Hurricane Sandy, the
ice skating rink and concession booths of Bryant Park are in full swing .
Despite the large crowd of shoppers, the birds are sticking around for the
plentiful supply of food scraps and their own "private" dining area where the
benches are cordoned off on one side by the rink and the high railing on the
other.  Besides the large numbers of House and White-throated Sparrows, two
Swampies were hiding near the bird bath in the northeast corner.  Hermit
Thrushes and Catbirds were on every side last week but appear to be declining
in number now.  Two Sapsuckers were on the Lindens in front of the library.  I
didn't have my binoculars at the time, but over the past two days I've seen two
raptors circling and landing on top of the Bank of America. No big surprises
like last winter yet, but I did get one minor surprise today - a female
Brown-headed Cowbird at the northwest corner of the rink - a first for me in
Bryant Park.

Happy Birding,
Alan Drogin