Hi  All,        Dick Belanger and I birded the Southampton side of Dune
Road east to Shinnecock Inlet. The Hampton Bays side of the Inlet continues
to be for all intents and birding purposes,off limits due to the ongoing
dredge work there. We had a Crossbill flock,[ 15 Whitewinged],  along the
road a quarter mile from the Inlet. At the parking area shoreline we found
7 Dunlin with a few Sanderling. On the long sandbar within the bay there
was a group of close to 200 Sanderling and 38 Common Eider. Across the
inlet on the west jetty there were 2 feeding Purple Sandpiper and 2 Great
Cormorant on the tower directly above them. Good numbers of gulls are
gathering at the torrent of water and sand exiting the dredge pipe at the
shore further west. There were 25  Bonaparte Gulls in the breakers there.
Small numbers of Horned Grebes were evident on both bay and ocean. Good
Holiday Birding and all the best in the New Year,            Carl Starace