This evening, I arrived at the Bellport Bay Yacht Club to an enormous roost of large gulls, numbering at least 2900 individuals. Although it is not unprecedented to have counts of over two-thousand gulls during January and February, today's gathering was quite an abrupt change from the smaller counts of about 600 gulls that I've had over the past weeks (as recently as this past Monday). Flat conditions on the bay made for excellent viewing and study of the many gulls that were on the water. Unfortunately, shortly after we arrived, a boater plowed right through the flock scattering the gulls further out onto the bay.

I was able to scan through some of the gulls before they were flushed. Among those I looked through was a 1st cycle Glaucous Gull and a presumed adult Lesser Black-backed x Herring Gull hybrid. This individual exhibited a mantle shade darker than all surrounding Herring Gulls, but noticeably paler than any pure LBBG I've seen. It was observed briefly in flight, and possessed a dark shadow on the underside of the flight feathers consistent with dark-mantled gulls.

Good winter birding,
   Michael McBrien
   East Patchogue