This observation from Manhattan is notable for winter, but in the case of that
species is not at all unprecedented, and it is hardly just Bryant Park in
midtown Manhattan where Ovenbirds have been seen in other winters, although
that location has had its share, being so often checked by watchful observers.
There is also a seeming general trend for a number of birds that most typically
winter in places a bit south or even mainly in the tropical or subtropical
realm, to be found as far and farther north as / than Manhattan island.  One
example and there are many others is from downtown Boston Massachusetts where
various warblers have been found in winter - again, often in those areas that
happen to be frequented regularly by people who look at, and recognize birds,
whether they are there actually seeking some wintering warbler, or not.  The
list of warbler species that have been attempting to, and at least in some
instances seem to have successfully overwinter[ed] has been fairly impressive
in just the past decade or so.  While Ovenbird would not make the top 3 amongst
those warblers that have, it almost certainly would be in the top ten.  Perhaps
the foraging methods and behavior of Ovenbirds help incline it to some modest
success in being in a rather confined environment in winter - and to find food
in ways that can sometimes be surprising.  I have seen a very early (April, but
very early April) ovenbird in Central Park "chowing down' on a full slice of
bologna - on a day when it was likely still to chilly to promote much in the
way of insect life for the bird to fill up on. I've seen many a Yellow-breasted
Chat in a variety of urban locations finding all manner of "people" foods, and
seeming to enjoy, even (a few times) looking on with "outrage" and vocally
complaining when someone in Bryant Park did not leave enough, or any, of that
cinnamon bun, hot dog, & so on.  In the case of the bird seen in the AMNH
"Margaret Mead" park, it is my bet that that is not the bird from Bryant... and
if a Rufous Hummingbird can winter next to the AMNH, why not a hardy ovenbird!
(Of course this winter has yet to play out with the chance for all sorts of
weather yet to be seen.)

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan