Arie,

That is terrible news. At first I didn't believe you were looking at the
right place b/c Hick's Island has always been, well, an island with an
inlet at the eastern end. A quick check of Google Maps shows that the inlet
is now a sand bar. (I wonder if this filled in as a result of Sandy.) This
is probably not good news for the Least Terns. Napeague is NY State land,
and so the NYS Park police or NYSDEC should be contacted.

Hugh

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Arie Gilbert <ariegilb...@optonline.net>wrote:

>  I spent the day birding in the Montauk area yesterday.  Enticed by novel
> reports of Western Grebe and Glaucous gull, and Bob Hayes' desire to see
> the goodies as well, we started at Hook pond and further Lane where we got
> Glaucous Gull and GWF Goose respectively.
>
> Next we went to Kirk beach where there were no xbills, and no W Grebe of
> shore. We birded several vantage points moving east but no better luck.
>
> South  lake drive had the BH Gull in the same location  and the Barrows
> Goldeneye  w/ the flock was out in the center of the bay, best viewed from
> the east lake drive.
>
> Rita's had 8 Snow Geese, and 'Larry' the LBB Gull was at Napeague, but at
> the western most beach, next over from the ramp,
>
> We scanned for quite some time hoping for the Snowy Owl, but saw people
> walking on the shore and someone had driven their 4x4 almost all the way
> down!  Gee - the signs say no boats, but it doesnt say no cars.  F^=&!
>
> *****  anyone local to that area who can contact the proper persons in
> authority  would be appreciated by me and no doubt other birders, and
> perhaps the Owl.
>
> Arie Gilbert
> No. Babylon, NY
>
>  www.Powerbirder.blogspot.com