This morning I took a drive down Dune Road.  On my way toward Hampton Bays
I spotted an Adult Cooper's Hawk on a powerline.  Two hooded mergansers
were near the Quogue/East Quogue border on a small pool on the north side
of the road.  Other highlights include: American Bittern (near triton
lane), belted kingfishers, 2 great egrets and three great blue herons.
 Well off-shore, near the 1-mile buoy were 2-3 huge rafts containing
thousands of birds.  My guess is eiders or scoters, but they were too far
offshore to tell through my camera or bins.  Photos of some of the birds
including the bittern can be seen here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2013/01/american-bittern-on-dune-road.html

Additionally, I saw on LIbirds.com that a Purple Gallinule was picked up
approximately 70 miles offshore by some fisherman and brought to the
rehabber in Hampton Bays... that bird must have really been confused
swimming around with all of the puffins out there.

--
- Luke Ormand, East Patchogue

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com

www.wildlongisland.blogspot.com