I led a winter birding excursion for NYC Audubon to Jones Beach yesterday.  I
think the Snowy Owl has been widely-reported enough that I can mention him
without crossing any ethical bounds... and what a treat!  It was actually my
first Snowy Owl... I've been chasing this bird all over the Northeast for
25-odd years, and they've somehow always eluded me, until now.  I have now seen
every owl species in North America, a good feeling!
He was sort of the ultimate Snowy Owl too: all white, and just massive
(although I assume females are larger still).
We had a flock of about 14 Snow Buntings fly right over the owl, quite an
arctic tableau!
Additional sightings of interest included a Marsh Wren hopping along the edge
of the phragmites by a path; about 30-40 Horned Larks near the Coastguard
Station; a couple Northern Gannets flying over the waves, several Red-throated
and Common Loons, and great views of a young Peregrine Falcon and a couple of
Northern Harriers hunting over the marshes and dunes.
Not a bad day!
One thing we missed was Purple Sandpiper; I haven't seen any at their usual
hangout in Redhook either this winter.
Stay warm,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon