I pulled into Timber Point Golf Course at about 9:15 AM. I noticed a goose herd
feeding on the course, just south of the driving range area. This is toward the
west side of the course near the canal. I parked along the canal and began
walking toward an open area where I could get a nice detail on the geese.
Simultaneously, I noticed a pedestrian walking a dog heading right toward the
herd. The flock of about 300 geese lifted before I could sift through them on
the ground. In flight, at relatively close range, I noticed a petite white
goose traveling with a sub flock of about 10 Canada's. The Ross's type goose
was markedly, not just slightly, smaller than the Canada's with which it
travelled. Next, I tried to get a good handle on bill size and shape. I barely
even noticed bill protrusion. The overall size and shape of the birds body and
bill point directly to Ross's Goose.

The flock flew east toward the Connetquot River and 5 shotgun blasts sounded
loudly. The Ross's did not drop but the blasts were enough to send the
sub-flock, which contained the Ross's toward the south, mouth of the river. The
larger herd flew north up the river.

Of course, I would have preferred to detail this bird while on the ground so I
could rule out Ross's X Snow. But I'm very comfortable saying that there is
almost certainly a Ross's Goose in the area. I eventually crossed paths with
the hunters who acknowledged a "small Snow Goose" later flying up river. I
spent 4 hours trying to refind this bird but finally just gave up. Last I
checked, there were some geese back on the ponds at the golf course. Hoping
they reconvene tonight and commence feeding tomorrow morning. A very
frustrating search and chain of events. I'm really hoping this bird gets
relocated.

Best,
Derek Rogers
Sayville