I've posted pictures of the Razorbills at my web site
http://www.stevewalternature.com/ , since who know when I'll get worthwhile
shots again. They haven't come easy. The flock that Andrew found was far out
in the channel, west of the Coast Guard station. We split up in search of
the Dovekie. I headed toward the fisherman's parking lot and, miraculously,
so did the Razorbill flock, coming all the way across the channel to a
position relatively close to the near shore. There were 5 the whole time I
saw them, so I don't know about Andrew's sixth one. I do know about my
sixth. That one I spotted at Point Lookout later, swimming and diving in the
surf between the two easternmost jetties. I chased after it, hoping that it
might turn the corner into the inlet where the lighting would be better.
It's not just birding. It's an adventure trying to keep pace with a
Razorbill, trying to anticipate where it will surface, and safely hoping up
on rocks with the camera ready. But I did it.

By the way, the Harlequins were inside the inlet (by the houses) when I got
there. After a while, they flew toward the middle jetty, where the stayed
for a half hour or so. As I was leaving, I saw them flying west past the
westernmost jetty. I lost sight of them in sun glare, so I don't know where
they ended up. Conceivably, they could have headed back to Long Beach (or
they could have made a U-turn, for all I know).

In a note related to Doug Futuyma's last post, Lady Crabs may be the reason
for large numbers of loons now in the Jones Beach area. I watched a Common
come up with a crab, while a Herring Gull with one added to my growing list
of food items in my bird photographs.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY