So yet another Aythya species that's become more common on Long Island than
Canvasback?

From: bounce-75434355-8873...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-75434355-8873...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Angus Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:07 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L
Subject: Re:[nysbirds-l] Long Island: Nassau/Suffolk Tufted Duck(s) coming
full circle?

Based on off-line replies, it appears there are indeed TWO Tufted Ducks in
central Long Island, with simultaneous sightings of the Heckscher Park and
Blydenburgh Park birds yesterday. Differences in plumage details further
support this conclusion.

The question now is whether one or other of these birds accounts for the
Cold Spring Harbor bird. A couple of astute observers felt the bird on St
Johns Pond differed from the Huntington Harbor bird although the viewing
conditions were not ideal for making comparisons of similar aged birds.
Scrutiny of dated photos might shed some light on this.

Clearly this has been an exceptional years for Tufted Ducks in New York
State with multiple males upstate as well. This parallels an influx of
Eurasian Wigeon, with perhaps a record setting number of individuals present
on Long Island this winter, including several females. I can only think
there must be one or two female Tufted Ducks paddling around somewhere as
yet undetected so check those scaup flocks carefully!

My thanks to Deborah Allen, Cory Finger, Doug Gochfeld, Charleen Turner and
Peter Scully for images or information.

Angus Wilson

New York City

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics