On Saturday Bob Adamo and I missed the Long-Eared Owl (which was seen by Sy
Schiff at 8:30am) at the Marine Nature Center in Oceanside, the Harlequin
Ducks (which was seen by Seth Ausubel and Rich Kelly earlier) at Point
Lookout, the Gyrfalcon at Gilgo and the Red-necked Grebe at Cap Tree our
perseverance paid off.

While at Point Lookout we saw several Horned Grebes, one of which was
showing some gold in the ear tufts. American Oystercatchers were on the
beach to the west of the jetties, two were also seen later at the Jones
Beach Coast Guard Station. On the beach was a possibly distressed Harbor
Seal. The seal lay on its left side only, its fur tinged red at its lower
extremities, and the white of its left eye was blood red, it allowed someone
to get within 25 feet. Bob reported it to Riverhead Foundation for Marine
Research and Preservation.

At the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station along the road before the parking
area were an immature White Crowned Sparrow, American Tree Sparrows, and
Dark-eyed Juncos. At the Gazebo, Bob, and another birder, called out a small
flock of Horned Larks.. and mixed in was the previously reported Lapland
Longspur, a lifer, which Steve Walter helped me pick out of the crowd. There
were about dozen Common Loons present. Among a small number of Horned Grebes
was another showing some gold in the ear tufts. A Savannah Sparrow was also
feeding apart from the others near the gazebo.

Finally at Captree, we saw a few Boat-tailed Grackles. They sang on the top
of boats at dock and were on the sand spit across the dock.