Yesterday afternoon, during the snow showers, I found a 1st cycle
Glaucous Gull at the Bellport Bay Yacht Club.  It was still present
today at mid-morning, resting on the south dock.

My dad and I decided to head east this afternoon to check for various
waterfowl.  En route, we spotted an adult Bald Eagle circling over
Sunrise Highway near the Carmans River.  A bit later, we had a 1st
winter Bald Eagle along Wickapoque Road in Southampton. This bird
stayed around for quite awhile, tussling with a pair of Osprey.

The ponds in Southampton held the usual variety of March waterfowl; a
female Canvasback on Agawam Pond was the only one of note.

Along Dune Road, we found some newly arrived migrants including a
Piping Plover and 18 Am. Oystercatchers.

The highlights of our afternoon were two Eurasian Green-winged Teals
at Terrell River County Park.
In addition, I believe we observed two possible Eurasian x American
Green-winged Teal intergrades.  While the variation among the American
Green-winged Teals is quite broad in terms of the extent of pale
stripe on the lower scapulars (a feature that was interesting to study
in this flock of 143 Americans), I believe these two hybrid
individuals stood out out from the rest.  Both possessed a vertical
white line on each side of the breast as well as a fairly bold
horizontal stripe across the lower scaps.  While this latter feature
was not as strong as in that of the two pure Eurasians, it was
significant enough that we could track each individual through the
flock solely by this field mark.  In addition, the two suspect
intergrades appeared to have paler flanks, and were paler than
adjacent Americans in the vent area.  One individual was present for
most of our visit and well-photographed; my dad picked out the second
individual just prior to our departure and we were able to observe
this one for several minutes  before it flew down the creek.

Photos of the teal can be seen at the end of this album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117391989476777248424/NewYorkBirds2013
#

Good birding,
     Michael McBrien