I seem to be on a run with WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.  Today Betsy and I found my
fifth one (four locations) in four days.  This one was on Rt 18, just west
of Murdock Rd in the Town of Yates, Orleans County.  On the day, we also had
41(!) CACKLING GEESE.  Thirty of these were in one relatively small flock of
Canada Geese on Johnson Creek Rd in the Town of Hartland, Niagara County.
Three were along Rt 18, one mile east of Niagara-Orleans Countyline Road,
and eight more were on Lake Ontario near the end of Countyline Rd.

Fantastic numbers of Canada Geese in the Countyline Rd area, with many in
the fields along Rt 18 and even more on the lake.  Skeins were coming in
high from the south, perhaps birds from the Iroquois NWR area or even
further south.  A stiff north wind likely prevented most from crossing to
Canada.

The hawk migration was lackluster, with numerous TURKEY VULTURES, a handful
of RED-TAILED HAWKS, and a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.  It was very cold near the
lake.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna