Timber point east marina 19 April

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) found the 2 Ruffs together this morning (thanks
Andrew for getting the word out after being alerted).  The obvious male is
molting into breeding plumage.  Today there is much more black than in photos
posted earlier. In addition, the bird is developing a ruff.  This was quite
evident when approached by the second bird. At that point, it put on a full
display posture, bending down, fluffing up its feathers and showing ear flaps
The barring was exceptionally noticeable and some reddish feathering was
displayed in the back as the feathers went up.  The breast ruff is not yet
fully developed.  None of this showed when the bird was feeding.

The second bird does not appear to be a juvenile. It displays barred tertials,
I believe a sign of maturity. . Could not find it much smaller than the male.
Best judgment is a female, not yet in full breeding plumage

I could not find any reference in the literature I have that the "breeding
display" is is an aggression posture. So, both Joe and I find this extremely
interesting as to how it reacted to an approaching "female".  I have lots of
very poor distant photos, but lucked out on one picture of the display.

Sy