Steve,

as we do at my job for Prospect Park Natural Resources, we do the same thing:
add mulch to trails.
The purpose is to reduce foot and bike compaction, add fertilizer from organic
breakdown into the soil to help the surrounding flora

High human traffic is much responsible for the deterioration of trees whose
roots are compacted and eventually die from over compaction .As least the mulch
softens the compaction and Parks dept can be defended here. ( better than
asphalt )

see this link for basic uses of mulch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulch

Peter