We spent the morning birding Doodletown Road in Bear Mountain State
Park. It rained on our way up from LI but cleared just as we arrived
at Doodletown. Many of the local breeders were in, including Hooded
and Cerulean Warblers and Louisiana Waterthrush. A few migrant
warblers were present,  but in the minority of birds present.
Highlights included a Kentucky Warbler on the Doodletown Trail, west
of where Timp Brook passes under the trail. As you walk uphill west of
Timp Brook,  look for a sign on the right indicating the former
location of the Montvale Community Church and bear right. After 100
yards or so a small brook passes under the trail. The warbler was seen
and heard on both sides of the trail north of the brook. We had our
first empids of the year at Doodletown, with a calling Least
Flycatcher near where the Kentucky was found and a calling Acadian
Flycatcher south of the main trail some 150 yards  in from Route 9.

A highlight of the trip was an excellent view of a female Cerulean
Warbler feeding near the ground, one of the first times I ever recall
looking down on a Cerulean Warbler. Photo on my flickr site.

We made a short visit to Sterling Forest State Park where Golden-
winged Warbler was found at the end of Ironwood Road. Definitely a day
where quality exceeded quantity.

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/