I stepped outside the house at 6:00 this morning and almost immediately
heard a CONNECTICUT WARBLER singing!  With a great amount of effort, we were
eventually able to get brief poor looks at the bird - about three hours
later!  The bird hid itself on the ground among all the vegetation and was
nearly impossible to see.  The one time I saw it, I was looking through a
tiny opening in the vegetation and I could only see the side of its head and
its bill moving as it sang.  Betsy got only a slightly better look.  This is
the third one of this species in our yard in the nine years that we have
lived here, all singing birds in the spring.

We ended with 18 species of warblers in the yard today, four LEAST
FLYCATCHERS, one WILLOW FLYCATCHER, two WOOD-PEWEES, one EASTERN KINGBIRD,
one PHILADELPHIA VIREO, two BLUE-HEADED VIREOS, one WARBLING VIREO, one
VEERY, two SWAINSON'S THRUSH, two LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, one WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROW, one INDIGO BUNTING, and one RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

At Wilson-Tuscarora S.P. I had two MOURNINGS among 15 species of warblers.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter