At about 2:30 PM yesterday, May 21, at exit 63 on the LIE, while traveling at 60 mph, we had a brief view of a Fregata species, most likely a Magnificent Frigatebird, based on the historical pattern of occurrence. While few details could be discerned, the characteristic silhouette of this bird, which we have both seen many times, is unique and unmistakeable. The flat black profile with thin, sharply angled wings was well seen, and the bird continued on a southward glide, never flapping its wings, as is characteristic.

The Levine update of Bull lists 18 NY occurrences, mostly from Suffolk county, with the majority of records from May to September.

We will report to NYSARC.

Peggy & Joel Horman