It is difficult to express what Ken and Sue's message meant to us.
During the seven long months that the Robert Moses bridge has been
closed, we literally have felt deprived of a sense organ, as though
we've been partly blind and deaf to the movements of birds around us.
Shai and I ventured out to Fire Island this evening with little concern
for the poor weather (belts of fog and rain driven on a northwest wind,
usually the worst wind direction for seawatching); indeed, we hardly
cared what we saw as long as we were able to explore our old haunts.

Seeing that parts of Great South Bay were socked in with fog, Shai
proposed his typically optimistic view that "It's just patchy; likely as
not it'll clear out beyond the beach." Sure enough, visibility over the
ocean wasn't bad at all, if one could get shelter from the rain. But
before we could get started with our seawatch, Shai spied a bedraggled
cluster of unkempt brown gulls in the lot and insisted on inspecting
them. We drove over and, sure enough, there were three Lesser
Black-backed Gulls in field 2. I've more or less tolerated Shai's
compulsive attention to this species over the years--his "raison d'etre"
as he always says, when we come across one or more on a slow day of
birding. This time I can attest that the tag was apt; after lamenting
the futility of his existence for seven months, he was so pleased to see
them--just where they ought to be, if anyone were there to see them. I'd
say that he was "chuffed as nuts" about it, if I knew exactly what that
meant....

We found three more on the beach, a different one in the lot when we
left, and another in field 5, rounding out a good tally of the spring
push of immature LBBGs on LI. Our seawatch was interesting, especially
given the unusual combination of foul weather and northwest winds. We
figured we saw 14 Sooty Shearwaters, although birds were tacking to and
fro quite a bit; perhaps twice as many Gannets, all but two immature,
also milling about; and I saw a Parasitic Jaeger and a Roseate Tern,
both proceeding eastward without hesitation, while Shai was attempting
to photograph one of his beloved gulls.

It was really good to be back.

Patricia Lindsay
Bay Shore