Doodletown, Iona Island, Mine Road: 1 June

Assembling at the foot of Doodletown Rd, 11 Long Island birders, arriving
within 5 minutes of the 7:30 AM time, enjoyed good birding and companionship as
we explored this upstate (for us) area for breeding birds. Raptors included
BLACK and TURKEY VULTURES, RED-SHOULDER and RED-TAIL HAWKS and a BALD EAGLE.

As to the smaller birds,YELLOW-THROATED, WARBLING and RED-EYED VIREOS were
heard as we exited the car, a nice start for the day. We saw YELLOW-BILLED
CUCKOO, EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS,.SCARLET TANAGER and
INDIGO BUNTINGS.  Warblers were our prime target birds and included, LOUISIANA
WATERTHRUSH, BLUE-WINGED, CERULEAN, HOODED,YELLOW  and AMERICAN REDSTART.

We stopped at Iona Island for lunch and found a CLIFF SWALLOW resting on a
power line wire.

At Mine Road, we found our target birds of GOLDEN-WINGED, BLUE-WINGED and more
CERULEAN WARBLERS. The Golden-winged was heard but not seen after extensive
looking. At the end of Mine Road, a CLIFF SWALLOW was gathering mud from a
puddle at a house by the lake.

Sy Schiff