On Friday, June 28 from 11am to 1:30pm Cassy, my sister up from Florida,
myself and Andrew Baksh, birded Cupsogue. The previously reported
Arctic(first summer birds), Roseate, and Black Terns(seen in three phases:
breeding, mottled and juvenile) remain. Also seen were breeding and
alternate plumage Red Knots, as well as Short-billed Dowitchers. At first, I
thought I had blown our chance to see these species because when my sister
and I arrived, the tide was high and the central mudflat was completely
immersed. Across the channel were two Arctic Terns, which I would never have
identified because the easiest field marking, their short legs, were under
water. Over the next few hours, Andrew helped us recognize many other ways
of identifying Arctic Terns and Roseates. The high tide actually turned out
to be  very advantageous as no land was left for the birds to land on but a
small spit about 20 yards from where we were. As a result, we had terrific
views of the previously mentioned species and Black Skimmers and Ruddy
Turnstones.

We did not see the Red-necked Phalarope at a short stop at Pike's Beach.

Later, east of Tiana Beach, we saw Piping Plover and Semipalmated Plover.

Along Dune Rd we had a great view of a Black-crowned Night Heron right next
to the road.

Tom Moran

Shoreham