Jacob and Peter--Nice photo forensics; the question now is where this bird was
on Saturday (not to mention where it will go next).

Although it is surely remarkable that this individual bird was tracked over a
considerable distance, many people are probably not aware of an even more
astonishing side to this story. One of the stint's co-finders on Sunday was our
own Andrew Baksh (sometimes known as Andrew Mitra on the eBird Google Gadget,
as can be proven by an opportunistically recorded screen shot). Andrew had
driven up to Newburyport, Mass, on Saturday, hoping to see this bird. It wasn't
there. He returned to New York, drove out to Cupsogue on Sunday, and deftly
intercepted his quarry. Not only that, but Tom Burke predicted this
extraordinary confluence of vertebrate long-distance movements! Tom and I had a
conversation on Saturday night that went like this. SSM: "Well, it's tough to
make a trip like that and dip, but I have feeling he'll be calling us with one
of his own some time not too far off." TWB: "Maybe even this same one."

Felipe--At this point the tide will be getting up pretty high. It will be very
soupy out there until at least 7:00 pm. Unless you are very familiar with the
area and know where to go and where not to go when everything is under water,
it's probably best to wait until tomorrow. For an idea of how it looked
yesterday evening, check out my series of marshscapes commencing here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109808209543611018404/LongIslandMiscellany2013#5895647955824469250

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore