Sunday July 7, 2013

It's an ALL-STAR season opener!

A spectacular line-up: whales, dolphins, turtles and pelagic birds. Our day
started off with a spectacular view of nearly 1000 common dolphins. The
large super- aggregation was spotted at 11am. We stayed with them for quite
some time, then headed on. We next encountered loggerhead turtles (2) and
eventually turned back from 24 miles out. We found 2 large fin whales
feeding fast south of where the dolphins had been. We were able to get great
views of the two and saw another about 1/2 mile away. What a great way to
start!

Totals:

1000 Common Dolphins

3 Fin Whales

2 Loggerhead Turtles

500+ Great Shearwaters

85 Sooty Shearwaters

30 Cory's Shearwaters

2 Pomarine Jaegers

1 Unidentified Jaeger

1 Manx Shearwater

2 Wilson's Storm Petrels -

See more at:
http://cresli.org/cresli/2013_local_whale_watch_reports.html#2013-07-07

Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph. D.

kopel...@optonline.net
( e-mails scanned for viruses before sending)

"When the last individual of a race of living thing breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth

must pass before such a one can be again" ......  William Beebee

P Be kind to the environment - unless you need to, please don't print this
e-mail