Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge 27 July

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) started mid -morning at the north end. Except for
a few short spots (6-inches deep mud), the west edge is completely passable.
Today's goodies included a RUFF and a breeding plumage AMERICAN AVOCET. The
latter found by Ken Feustel, who had us alerted via a string of phone calls.
Otherwise, little diversity among the several thousand shorebirds

Shorebirds included; Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plover, 3 American
Oystercatchers, huge numbers of Semipalmated but only a few Least Sandpipers,
Short-billed Dowitchers, at least one Long-billed, both Yellowlegs and a
scattering of Stilt Sandpiper. All the shorebirds were seen from the north end
except the Avocet,  from the south end.

A white-eyed Vireo sang on the north side of the gravel road as we approached
the east Pond's north entrance and was answered by another from the south side.
On the other side, the south marsh of the west pond included Glossy Ibis and an
adult Little Blue Heron.

Sy