Barrier Beaches July 29

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff)  birded the marina bar at Jones Beach West End.
Arriving a bit after low tide, we found the bar almost devoid of birds and a
brief stay disclosed little change. The Black Scoter flock continues. We
decided to see what was doing at Robert Moses SP, trying a sea watch at field
#2. We stopped off at Oak Beach overlook on the way. If there was any damage
from "Sandy", it has been repaired . It is a lovely spot with a half dozen
fishermen were taking advantage of the fishing piers.

The sea watch turned out to be a bust with only Common Terns and a few gulls
passing to the west. Returning west to the Jones marina, the island now had
boats and their occupants encamped. Boating parties, 3; birds, 0.

We decided to walk down to the ocean from West End #2. Again, a sea watch was
futile. Little Terns still occupy the upper swale, but the rest is completely
covered with vegetation. Down on the beach, there were a few Piping Plovers .

Sy