The following covers the weekend and today on the movement of shorebird
arrival and departure from the East Pond.

The shorebirds continue to come and go on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay in
Queens.  I along with others had hoped the front would have pushed in some
interesting birds on Saturday night but that was not the case as several us
observed on Sunday.

Tom Burke, Gail Benson and others had a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER and a
WESTERN SANDPIPER, on Sunday but that was the highlight.  I did not see
either of these birds and the White-rumped on Sunday was significant since
I had not seen any since July 23rd until today when I counted 7; a sign
that new birds had arrived.

Overall, the volume of shorebirds have dropped significantly, but there is
enough birds around to keep busy along with the arrivals of the juveniles.
Lesser Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitcher and Least Sandpiper juveniles
have started showing up albeit in small numbers. Today, I saw my first
juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper.

The arrival of multiple White-rumped Sandpiper, is refreshing and sure
beats the single birds that we have seen recently on the pond.  No Pectoral
Sandpiper today, but  a bird that I photographed flying off the pond on the
day of the downpour last week, which I suspected was a Pec, was confirmed
to be one, once I got a chance to look at the photo.

Here is hoping for lots more shorebirds in the coming weeks.

Good Shorebirding!

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com