Date: Oct. 12, 2013

The BBG (Brooklyn Botanic Garden) birding class recorded 38 species during
our trip at Jones Beach. The day started off very slowly with few birds on
the  sandbar at the Coast Guard station. The tides were wrong so we
revisited  this area later with better tides. I'm very glad we did because with
high tide  approaching we saw: Royal Tern (3), Oystercatchers (100), Red Knot
(4), Dunlin  (x), Sanderling (x), Short-billed Dowitchers (2), Black Skimmer
(3),  Black-bellied Plover (15). For landbirds the highlight was a
Clay-colored  Sparrow mixed in with Chipping Sparrows at the picnic area of
Zacks
Bay. The  only hawks seen today were three Northern Harriers.

Best
Joe