Marine Nature Study Area, Oceanside 15 Oct

A loud screeching  Ca, Ca, Ca Ca caught my attention. As I turned toward the
sound, a CLAPPER RAIL had burst out of the marsh, flew about 10 yards, calling
all the time, and dove back in. This was followed by some GREATER YELLOWLEGS
calling and flying by in the distance. Earlier, other Yellowlegs had been
scattered about with only a pair of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER  as added shorebirds.

An OSPREY is still hanging around and the BELTED KINGFISHER continues. A PALM
WARBLER  was on the path. Sparrows around the pond included:-SAVANNAH, SONG and
SWAMP. A SALTMARSH SPARROW flew out from beneath the boardwalk and landed
further into the marsh.

The Seaside Goldenrod on site is just past its peak, but Fall color is not
there yet. Otherwise a beautiful fall day.

Sy Schiff