Jones Beach and Pt. Lookout 30 Oct

Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo and I (Sy Schiff) joined by Stan birded the marina
bar, hedgerow and median  Our first LONG-TAILED DUCKS were in the cove to the
east of the marina (seen yesterday by others). The hedgerow had a scattered mix
of White-throated, White-crowned, Swamp and Song Sparrows. The median was
mostly bare except for Golden-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers,
Yesterday, we saw our first fall Red-breasted Nuthatch. None today.

There were 2 Killdeer in the swale.  Leaving the parking lot by the far
turnaround entrance, we saw more sparrows on the road sides plus a Field
Sparrow on a shrub to our right. Also, a Hermit Thrush.  At the extensive sandy
area in the lawn there were 2 VESPER SPARROWS.  Yesterday they fed together.
Today they stayed apart.

Joe and I went over to Pt. Lookout. We did not visit the inlet, but birded the
ocean from the Town Park.  Nothing there. On the shore were Black-bellied
Plover, American Oystercatcher, Sanderling, Dunlin and 2 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER.
At the "rock pile" we saw 2 Gray Catbirds, more Golden-crowned Kinglets, the
usual sparrows and 4 Chipping Sparrows.

Sy