I just got a few bad shots of what I believe may be a juvenile Northern
Goshawk. Very large accipiter with extensive streaking below, spots on the back
and a bold light supercilium. I didn't get a goof enough look at the tail to
judge if the banding was irregular.

The bird was hunting perched on the fence upon the dunes, and appeared to be
diving off at passing prey. It was working the stretch on the ocean side of the
road from the Suffolk County sign east towards West Gilgo.

Sorry for the uncertainty, but I know there's a lot of skilled NYSOA eyes in
the area that might be able to nail this down.

BOB WASHBURN

Sent from my barely functioning iPhone