A cool, breezy (ne winds) morning/early afternoon in Inwood Hill Park in
northern Manhattan today. It started out mostly cloudy, became threatening
with even a few spits of mist before turning into a beautiful day. The woods
seemed relatively quiet, but perhaps that is because I spent so much time (a
couple of hours) at the overlook on the ridge that looks out at the
Palisades. For a good portion of the time two other birders watched the
skies with me (James Knox and Danny ? - sorry Danny, I don't remember your
last name). We had a great time with raptors and other migrants going over.
I recorded 46 species and I know the others had a few additional species I
did not have. Highlights included:

Snow Goose (flock of about 70 flying south high overhead)

Brant (one or two small flocks overhead headed south)

Canada Goose (locals and a few migrant flocks overhead)

Long-tailed Duck (flock of about 15 flying south low over the Hudson -
mostly males; the first I have ever seen here)

Common Loon (1, overhead going south, spotted by James)

Double-crested Cormorant (individuals over the Hudson and in Spuyten Duyvil)

Great Blue Heron (1, on mudflats at north end of the park)

Turkey Vulture (25+; late-morning into early-afternoon; generally the birds
were not flying down the Hudson, nut rather were coming from the ne, passing
over us and then crossing the Hudson towards the Palisades)

Bald Eagle (12+; mostly various aged immatures, but at least two adults;
some were following a similar path to the TV's, but many were going south
over the Hudson)

Sharp-shinned Hawk (1, from the overlook this morning)

Cooper's Hawk (1, seen over Spuyten Duyvil from my apartment around 4 pm)

Red-shouldered Hawk (6 - 8; following same pattern as the TV's in the
late-morning)

Red-tailed Hawk (hard to give a number since the local birds were also up
and about, but some were certainly migrants)

(James told me he had a Merlin and a Peregrine from the soccer fields at the
north end before joining us on the ridge. This would make a total of 7
hawks, plus the Turkey Vultures for the day)

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker (heard one or two; did not seem to be any movement)

Eastern Phoebe (1)

Blue-head Vireo (2, on the ridge)

American Crow (10 - 14, moving north along the ridge)

House Wren (1, getting late for this species)

Golden-crowned Kinglet (1)

Hermit Thrush (3-4)

Cedar Waxwing (flock of about 40 over ridge)

Yellow-rumped Warbler (everywhere)

Chipping Sparrow (2-4, soccer fields)

Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco (many all over park, including an apparent flight of them
going over - mostly northward)

mixed flocks of Common Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds going south

Joe DiCostanzo

www.greatgullisland.org