Although I saw the 1st Snowy Owl reported on the day it was found (11/25),
after reading about Byron Young's 4 yesterday, plus all the good birds seen
by Doug Futuyma's group, my interest was duly perked, arriving at Dune Rd.,
H. Bays ~ 2:45 PM today. I first checked all the
locations  mentioned w/o the Ponquogue Bridge, actually going as far as the
"Round Dunes"/ "Dockers". The only bird of note before seeing the Snowy,
was a lone Tree Swallow resting on a wire.

On the return leg east, ~ 1/4 mile e/o Tiana Beach I spotted a parked
car on the beach side of the road, as well as the owl in the swale on that
side. I then noticed a photographer on the wrong side of the snow fence,
and advancing toward the bird. I stopped, got out of my car, and yelled to
him to stop, that what he was doing was against the law. He heard me and
dismissed me. I then took his license plate #, and called the police. I
called out to him again, he listened to all I said, and proceeded to move
closer to the bird, after telling me "there are no signs saying I can't ".
While I was still on the phone, the snowy took off, heading west. The
police said they were responding, and armed with the plate # and
description of the idiot's SUV, they might catch up to him !

I found my FOS Snow Buntings (5) in the town beach p/lot at the foot of
Ponquogue Bridge. I had a Great Cormorant feeding just w/o the commercial
fishing fleet and although there were a ton of gulls resting on the exposed
dredging pipe in the same area, no special gulls were seen. Walking from
the Shinnicock Inlet p/lot to the west jetty, I flushed a Savannah
(Ipswich) Sparrow from the beach grass.There were 5 seals and 3 D.C.
Cormorants feeding in Shinnicock Inlet and just to the west ~ 65 scoters
(mostly white-winged) plus the previously reported harlequin duck. The time
was 4:30 PM, and dark enough, to make it difficult  to make colors out.
Identifying the harlequin was accomplished  by the bird's overall size
and head & bill size/shape (compared to the scoters along side).

Cheers,
Bob