A small comment on birding in Britain,

Back in the 60's, a defense contractor I worked for built a "zero noise"
microwave amplifier, cooled by liquid helium. It was delivered to the Jodrell
Bank Radio Telescope in England by the Department Head of the group who
developed it. This was cutting edge big, big-time science at the time.

As a reward and celebration after its successful use, some of the staff
twitchers took this non birder with them into the mountains to see the reported
CHOUGH. Returning to London on his way home, a gregarious cabby asked him what
he had been doing in England. He mentioned he had been up to see a CHOUGH. The
cabby commented "Oh, yes, very rare bird". The casual way it was said floored
him. As he scene was described to me, he said, "Everybody in England is a bird
watcher".

Sy Schiff