The Northern Nassau Christmas Count was held on the Winter Solstice, Saturday,
December 21st. Although it was the shortest day of the year, we recorded 118
species. The record for our count is 119 species in 1973.

New species for the count were Black Guillemot, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Seaside
Sparrow. Other rarities included Greater White-fronted Goose, Barrow’s
Goldeneye, Cackling Goose, Eurasion Wigeon, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Bald
Eagle, Red-headed Woodpecker, and Vesper Sparrow.
The Black Guillemot was still being seen as of today, details can be found on
the New York Birds mailing list or here if you are not subscribed:

http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

I’ll post a more detailed summary of the count once I have had time to analyze
the data.

Merry Christmas,

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY