The Northern Nassau Christmas Count was held on Saturday, December 21st, the
winter solstice. Although it was the shortest day of the year, 80 observers
braved temperatures in the 50s and found a near-record 117 species.

Three species were new to the count:

Lesser Yellowlegs—a single bird found in Manhasset and photographed standing
next to the only Greater Yellowlegs found on the count. What are the odds? If
there was such thing as a Medium Yellowlegs, I’m sure it would have been
standing between them.

Seaside Sparrow--- a superbly photographed individual found at Caumsett SP by
the same observer who found a count first Nelson’s Sparrow last year in the
same location.

Black Guillemot---a remarkable find of a continuing individual found on the
eastern side of Hempstead Harbor. Probably the first record for western (or all
of) Long Island Sound.

This brings the cumulative number of species seen on this count to 198. Perhaps
next year some lucky individual will find our 200th species. With Razorbill and
Black Guillemot already on the list.......maybe Dovekie will be number 200......

Other rarities found included
2 Greater White-fronted Geese (3rd count ever, 2 out of last 3)
Cackling Goose (2nd count ever, last 2 counts)
2 Barrow’s Goldeneyes (4th count ever, all singles until now).
King Eider (3rd count ever, 2 out of last 3)
2 Eurasian Wigeons
3 Bald Eagles (4th count ever, all singles until now)
Red-headed Woodpecker (5th count ever, 1st since 2002).
Horned Lark (1st since 1998)
Vesper Sparrow (1st since 1994)

New high counts were achieved for many species including Canada Goose (14677),
Ruddy Duck (1388), Red-tailed Hawk (60), Merlin (7), Red-bellied Woodpecker
(218), Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (33, shattering the old record of 19), Carolina
Wren (194), American Pipit (5), and Song Sparrow (474). How we can find 474
Song Sparrows but only 182 House Sparrows is a mystery to me, but I’m not
complaining.
House Sparrows were down 65% of their 10-year average. Rock Pigeons were down
72%; we only counted 143. Really? Did we just ignore these nuisance species
this year or did the warm weather push all counters deeper into the woods?
Hmmm......

Also, in case you were wondering about our spiraling Canada Goose numbers, the
Montezuma, NY Christmas Count recorded 51, 239 on last year’s count (the most
in the United States). However, I think most of these were true migratory geese
and not the feral slobs we have here in Nassau. If only we could tax them.

6864 Greater Scaup was below the 5-year average of 14,000 but they could easily
have been in neighboring waters outside our count circle.

There were only a very few number of species that could be considered as
“misses” for our count, namely, Black-crowned Night Heron, Purple Sandpiper
(seen count week), Chipping Sparrow, & Purple Finch. After 3 years in a row,
Common Raven was absent from our count.
Count week birds included 6 Razorbills, Purple Sandpiper, & Lesser Black-backed
Gull.

Red-throated & Common Loons were down 89% & 64%, respectively, from their 10
year averages but Horned Grebe was way up with 134 seen. Most ducks were up but
especially Common Goldeneye (up 135% of its 10 year average). Long-tailed Duck
was actually down a bit.

Both of our resident owls (Great Horned & Screech) were found in normal
numbers. Everyone had high hopes that a Snowy Owl would be found this year,
given the numbers that they have appeared in on Long Island this winter.
However, our count circle is probably the least likely area to find this bird
on Long Island and the odds prevailed.

2 American Kestrels were found this year, an admirable achievement these days
but to see that they were outnumbered by Merlins better than 3 to 1 is truly
astounding. In 1973, we recorded 27 kestrels on our count (and 2 Merlins).

A few area counts conducted in the prior weeks remarked on the paucity of
Black-capped Chickadee and Tufted Titmouse. However, both species were found in
numbers representative of their 5, 10, & 20 year averages. In fact, almost all
landbirds were near or higher than their averages.
Some exceptions to this included lower than average numbers of both kinglets,
White-throated Sparrow, & Dark-eyed Junco.

Some numbers to leave you dizzy: This year, we saw about 45,000 individuals
which matches the average for the last 5 years. The 10 & 20 year averages are
about 36,000 & 32,000, respectively. Much of this volume can be attributed to a
handful of species. Removing just 5 high-volume species (Canada Goose, Greater
Scaup, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Starling) dropped the total from 45,000
to 17,000. However, 17,000 is well above the 5, 10, 20 year averages so it
seems like we’re seeing more birds on our count. Whether this is due to more
participants, weather, or some other factor is up to the Audubon folks to
figure out.

And finally, some useless stats from the spreadsheet:

Only 22 out of 198 species have been recorded on our count one time ever.
Only 31 out of 198 species have been recorded on every single count.

Enough of this drivel, Happy New Year to all!!!!!!

--Glenn Quinn, compiler

---
is active.