Today, I observed the immature Red-headed Woodpecker that has taken up
residence in my yard and my neighbor’s yard since November 22nd.
Since I first saw it on the 22nd, it spends all its time caching food in the
various large oak trees on the properties. It never comes to any of the suet
feeders and aggressively chases other birds, even Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and
even squirrels once in a while.
Nice bird for New Years Day. Not sure what it’s doing in such a suburban
setting. We’ll see how it does with tomorrow’s storm and Friday’s temperatures.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---
is active.