This afternoon I took a ride to Dune Road / Shinnecock Inlet.

The inlet held a nice raft which consisted of various scoter species and
Common Eiders as well as some fringe red-breasted mergansers.  The
highlight was an immature male King Eider that I photographed
(accidentally).

The rest of Dune Road was really quiet - there was a Snowy Owl in the marsh
near the Bridge which was previously mentioned on this list. A northern
Harrier was found further west as well as a female Belted Kingfisher.  I
noticed a very large number of gulls both over the ocean/on the beach where
large waves were crashing as well as perched on dredging equipment in the
bay.  I'm sure some patience at either location would have produced
something good.  As the sun set and I drove over the bridge, I noticed
another sizeable collection of gulls perched on the rocks of the coast
guard marina - it may be worth checking for all you gullheads out there

Photos of the birds - including the king eider can be seen here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-long-time-coming.html

--
- Luke

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com