While leading an NYC Audubon Winter Birds & Seals eco-cruise today around NY
Harbor, we saw some nice birds.  Several large rafts of Scaup (mostly Greater I
think, but too distant for me to safely say) were sheltering along Governor's
Island and the Red-hook shore, probably totalling about 400 birds.  Also dozens
of Bufflehead, Red-breasted Merganser, and a couple of Hooded Merganser.  In
Erie Basin, we saw several Gadwall, an American Wigeon, a single American Coot,
and Black Ducks.

Out near Swinburne & Hoffman Islands, past the Verrazanno Narrows, we saw
numerous Long-tailed Ducks, a few Common Goldeneye, a Common Loon and a Horned
Grebe.  Also a half-dozen Harbor Seals in the water by Swinburne, which were
unusually acrobatic, splashing with their flippers and porpoising clear out of
the water on several occasions.

On the way back, I tried to see the Common Gull as we passed Veteran's Memorial
Pier, which at that very moment Andrew et al were observing, but it was too far
away (it was pretty confusing trying to explain to the folks on the tour that
there were a bunch of common gulls around the pier, and one rare gull, called
the Common Gull!).  However, we had a great view of a Red-necked Grebe in the
water off of the sewage treatment plant, which is the first I recall seeing in
NY Harbor in some time.  It took flight and headed west towards Staten Island.

A nice (if brisk) afternoon out on the water!

Stay warm,

Gabriel Willow
NYC Audubon