Connetquot River SP 112 Feb

Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, Joe Viglietta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the large mill
pond. While mostly frozen, there was a large stretch of open water. The far
side of the pond contained open water and a pair of RED-NECKED GREBES were
visible there, They gradually drifted to the left and ceased to be visible from
our vantage point. First stop, first look and we had our target bird.
We turned our attention to the feeding frenzy going on in front of us. It was
almost too much of a good thing. The churning made it difficult to pick out
some of the species It included a sizeable number of Wigeon including a male
EURASIAN WIGEON, COMMON and HOODED MERGANSER, BUFFLEHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCK,
RUDDY DUCK, a single Northern Pintail and MALLARD. A GREAT BLUE HERON watched
from the edge. A pair of RED-TAILED HAWKS circled overhead. A CAROLINA WREN
came to the suet at the feeder by the hatchery. (We took advantage of the
senior citizen permission to drive back there).

The way home consisted at a number of stops starting with Lake Capri in West
Islip where we added AMERICAN COOT, but struck out on the Redhead reported
there. Driving home via the ocean beaches, we stopped by Captree SP, East Gilgo
where we had a PEREGRINE FALCON on an Osprey nest and Jones Beach West End. At
the Nature Center, all of us saw our FOS SAVANNA SPARROW.

Sy