Jones Beach and Mill River, East Rockaway 17 February

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) arrived at the Coast Guard Station where Steve
Walter pointed us to the RED-NECKED GREBE in the boat basin. Great view! To the
east an accipiter flew by and flushed 2 Killdeer off the lawn. In the 1-ft.
bare strip of grass next to the board walk wall (every thing else covered with
6+ inches of snow), 18 HORNED LARKS were feeding. (no longspur mixed in). As we
scoped the channel, a flock of Dunlin and Black-bellied Plover flew onto the
bar. The balance of the birding was mainly from the car. At the Nature Center
we saw an AMERICAN KESTREL perched in a tree back towards the Coast Guard
Station and a SNOWY OWL along the dune line.

While talking to Steve, he told us of some CANVASBACK in Mill River in East
Rockaway.  We took Ocean Avenue south from Merrick Road to the East Rockaway RR
Station. We parked in the lot and trudged through the snow to a gazebo in a
small park by the station on the edge of the river. In the water were:-
GADWALL, MALLARD, NORTHERN SHOVELER, 3 CANVASBACK, BUFFLEHEAD, HOODED MERGANSER
and RUDDY DUCK.

Sy