Jones Beach west End. and Long Beach 19 February
Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, Joe Viglietta and I (Sy Schiff) birded at the Coast
Guard Station and then the median.. There were 7 COMMON LOONS in the inlet but
no Red-throated Loon. The Red-necked Grebe was also missing. The edge of strip
next to the boardwalk had 5 SNOW BUNTINGS today.

Very difficult walking in the snow. In the median, a few sparrows and 1
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH. No Yellow-rumps today. TREE SPARROWS were singing by the
sign to the Coast Guard Station.

We drove over to Long Beach, parking at Neptune Ave. Snow still on the
boardwalk, partly melted and very slippery. The water was a maelstrom breaking
over the jetties; completely wild water. Two surfers were braving the water.
The third (or fourth) jetty to the east had 8 PURPLE SANDPIPERS sleeping on
top.

Sy